Friday, November 19, 2004

Phil Jamieson is my new hero

Ok, Phil, you've convinced me. All this time I thought you were just a moron, but now I realise you, sir, are a fully fledged genius. It's an easy mistake to make. Most folks are too stupid to notice the pithy and subtle nature of your lyrics. I have to confess that I was like so many of the plebs until recently when I stumbled upon your gift. Like, a few years back, when your band Grinspoon released that song 'Chemical Heart'? Man, there I was thinking you were a bufoon because you misused the expression 'can't see the forets for the trees' by turning it into 'can't see the forest FROM the trees', which, at the time, looked like you had totally misunderstood the point of the expression.
But now, sir, I must bow at your feet because it was all part of a plan, wasn't it? I had suspected as much - noone is that stupid - and what confirmed it for me was your new single 'Better Off Alone'. In its first line you sing 'I never gave a reason of why I didn’t call'. Oh man, that is awesome! To the idiots out in radio-land you are some fool who doesn't know how to conjugate verbs (or something) but your highly-evolved fans know what you're doing. You're making comment on an increasingly anti-literate society! You're deconstructing the very format that would ruin true creativity! Genius! How could I have ever doubted you?
What clinched it for me was that in the chorus of 'Better Off Alone' you sing 'You better off alone?' and then 'We better off alone?'. Like, rad, man. You don't even need to pretend to say 'are' anywhere near those questions! Simulatenously embracing and satiring the culture of cool ebonics and over-lenition. Once again, social critique where you least expect to find it.
Phil, I salute you and look forward to your next single, which will surely be a bastion of postmodern deconstruction, masquerading as a pseudo-illiterate tract. May your voice ring out on the airways forever more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home