Thursday, October 14, 2004

Meandering

One of the problems with the voting population of this country is that not enough understand the difference between our system and the American one. They think they are voting in Presidents, not parties. Most don't even know we have 3 year terms.
I'm convinced the implications for the Coalition controlling the Senate haven't sunk in yet, if they ever will.
Over the last few days a lot of people have been asking how, if everyone they know didn't vote for the Coalition, could this election result be? First reaction, of course, is 'insular lefties, don't allow for diversity of opinion'. This question, however, has been framed usually not in terms of an angry leftie, but rather a confused, disenfranchised, impotent and ashamed citizen borne out of dashed hopes that, for a fleeting moment, maybe things could change.
Well, we do have an aging population and since they are on their way out would rather secure their own future than worry about the young. Which is fine with me: I'm sure I won't give a rat's when I'm old. But don't old people get sick more than young people? Won't they need Medicare? Wasn't that Labor's whole schtick? Are the elderly population so conservative they can't keep their own interests in mind? We shouldn't deny the aged their agency, and I don't want to speculate. But that's kind of what I've done.

I don't think I'm angry, but I am slightly bemused and, yes, disenfranchised that this nation I thought I knew is somehow so unlike what I thought.

1 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

I realise that in that last paragraph where it says 'I don't think I'm angry, but I am slightly bemused and, yes, disenfranchised that this nation I thought I knew is somehow so unlike what I thought' seems to use the word 'disenfranchised' where 'disenchanted' seems more appropriate. I'm still deciding what sounds better. In any case, I used disenfranchised because I was trying to express the impotence felt, but yeah, disenchanted is probably more accurate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home