Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Australopithecus Idioticus

Serendipitously, the Creationsim v. Evolution by natural selection non-argument has reared its ugly head more than a few times in the last few days.

Years ago I remember being told by a friend that evolution had been 'disproved' by the discovery of a lobster's eye that somehow defied Darwin. Years later and I've found what he must have been talking about. I won't link to the site because I can't link elegantly yet (you know, where you just say 'click here'), and I wouldn't want to expose people to Creationist propaganda without having a very good online source for evolutionary biology.

Anyway, lobsters have eyes that are rectangular and reflect light rather than refract light, somehow enabling them to see only when light enters their eye at right angles. For some reason Creationists seem to think this disproves evolution by natural selection, despite what I learnt very early in my Critical Thinking course about evidence being cumulative, and one piece of evidence stacked against a mountain isn't very likely to be strong enough.
This is out of my depth a little, so I tried to find some refutations of this specific lobster-eye example, but to no avail.

This debate has been in the forefront of my mind for a few days now, partly because one of my subjects this semester is, while being in the anthropology department, an intersection of neuroscience, psychology, evolutionary studies, physical anthropology and all kinds of things one doesn't expect to deal with in the Arts faculty. This subject is all about evolution and requires that we read 5 books on the topic. On top of that I bought Richard Dawkins' 'A Devil's Chaplain', which is a collection of essays:the one I'm up to at the moment just so happens to be on the Creationist idiocy.

I'm still searching for a specific refutation of this lobster business, which I could probably do with the little knowledge of evolution I have, but would much prefer an evolutionary biologist or someone of some authority to throw light.

All this came to a head in my mind when I actually came into contact with, and held in my hands in disbelief, a small pamphlet-style booklet, printed in 1993 and sold for 75c, called 'Dinosaurs and Creation?'

It made me feel sick.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home