Thursday, October 21, 2004

Sick of puns about Jet

Predictably, the ARIA Awards belonged to Jet. Since, despite whatever respect I might have for them, ARIA cannot distinguish between 'Best' and 'Highest Selling' to the point of making them separate categories almost a joke, many awards were delivered unfairly. I don't want to bad mouth Jet (at least they stopped the puerile Powderfinger from raping the awards once again), so I won't. Suffice it to say that I don't believe their awards were justified. That, and drummers shouldn't be allowed to speak in public. Unless you're Terry Bozzio. Or Dave Lombardo.

Someone needs to explain to me how John Butler can win 'Best Male Artist' when he is in other categories as a *band*. If we can separate a leader from a band and put them in different categories, why hasn't Daniel Johns won Best Male Artist for the last ten million songs he wrote, making his useless bandmates rich?
Speaking of which, that the Dissociatives didn't win anything (well, that's not true, they won Best Cover Art and Best Video)would baffle me if I weren't used to ARIA having their heads up their arses.

I am, however, very happy that Missy Higgins won best pop performance. She is the new Delta, as far as I'm concerned. She's a terminal illness away from being beloved everywhere. Well, maybe not. But Delta has ruined it. This whole thing with the Scud...well, at least she's writing with Guy Chambers.

2 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Ouch, I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm not hurt, though. My lyrics are tounge in cheek. That's kind of the point.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

My question was how can he be nominated for two awards for the same album but be treated as a band in one and a solo artist in the other? Many bands only have one writing member. This doesn't mean the others don't contribute to the 'artistry'. The fact that all the music is his and other members change doesn't answer this question. All solo artists have backing bands, but John Butler has chosen to acknowledge them in the title of his act.
I'm no angry so much as clearly misunderstanding something. As I said before, why can he be treated as a solo artist (within the context of a band) and other artists not get that privilege, specifically Daniel Johns in the context of Silverchair.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home