Wednesday, July 20, 2005

"You know, I think I'd do just about anything to get Fiona Apple to write a song about me"

"

You know, I've been thinking lately. I think about the kind of music I like and the songs that really touch me. And I realised that Fiona Apple is such a damn good songwriter: I mean, I love her music a lot. It's a shame that her record company, Sony, shelved her third album - the one that should have been released, like, two years ago- because they couldn't find a single. It didn't have enough commercial potential.

Anyway, I also noticed that most of Fiona Apple's songs are about bastard or idiot men. You know, guys that fucked her over. I guess the way it goes is, a guy fucks her over; she gets angry; she writes a song. And she can be filled with such vitriol. Like in 'Limp', "So call me crazy, hold me down/Make me cry, get off now, baby/It won't be long 'till you'll be/Lying limp in your own hand". Boy. You'd hate be the guy that was written about, right?

So I got thinking, you know. What would it take to get a song as good as that written about you? Well, I think I've found the answer. I'm going to become Fiona Apple's boyfriend. I know what you're thinking, but let me finish. I'm going to become Fiona Apple's boyfriend and I'm going to fuck her over. I'm going to make her fall in love with me and then break up with her for no good reason. And she's going to write the greatest song about it. It's going to be sweet.

Right, right, I know. It would probably be better if she just wrote a song about me because I'm a good boyfriend. But my Fiona, she doesn't write about good men. In her songs, they're all bastards. So that's what I'll have to be.

And, yeah, she's probably much too good for me. But, come on, dude. We all have one moment of greatness in us. And this is mine. I'm pretty much awesome at being a cunt. And I think that aspect of myself would be great inspiration for Fiona Apple. She'll love me, then learn to hate me and then write a great song - maybe even one that's commercially viable - and it will become a big hit. It will become a song that people will wonder about, like You Oughta Know or You're So Vain. They'll say to themselves "Gee, I wonder who that song's about".

And when that happens, maybe Sony will release Fiona Apple's Extraordinary Machine album.

"

21 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Blogger da buttah said...

i thought they were going to release it in december? uch!

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger da buttah said...

songs i got that you recommended: well i had all the silverchair..so hey, go me! i liked the opeth song..a lot. no go go action bears, still working on it =0)....found a song by the dissociatives and liked it...have to find some more, just not that one you recommended....and for kicks, i went on a downloading spree for the living end.

any take on my recommendations?

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Recommendations for the Living End? Well, I'm one of the few that knew them before they hit the big time - their music I mean. So, I like the old stuff like 'From here on in' or 'English Army'. But they have other good stuff too. Their first album is good. 'Pictures in the mirror' from the second is good too.

I'm glad you liked Opeth. GGAB is easy to find, but you're no obliged to get it.

The Dissociatives is Daniel Johns, you know yeah? Which song did you get? It sounds like you found 'Lifting the Veil from the Braille'

What about Devin Townsend and the Wildhearts? Once you get into their songwriting..maan.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger da buttah said...

i have a friend who lives in perth..she, i guess, knows the guys from the living end. and i was asking what you thought about the songs i gave you to try out =0)

i'll look for the GGAB tonight after work. no idea what song i got from the dissociatives...seeing as it's on my lappy, and i'm at work and that's at home...but "Lifting the Veil" sounds familiar..so maybe that??

devin townsend...friend is really into them!

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Oh shit, now I see.

Lifting the Veil is a song with only whistling. For some reason i thought you said it was funny, but re-reading it I realise I must be tired.

As for your songs, I like the Eels stuff, the Bush song was cool. Postal Service and Tricky I don't love yet. I've heard them before but I still have a problem with electronic music in general. "She Makes me Wanna Die" is pretty cool.

Oh, and Devin Townsend is a guy, he just has many bands.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger da buttah said...

them..him...aren't we all just a compound personality stuffed into the shackles of individuality on one front?

yea don't ask.

not into the electronic? well i recommend john legend. kind of jazzy hip hop. got the cd from a friend on sunday..absolutely love it!

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger da buttah said...

oh..and ever heard of cold?

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Cold? Nope. I know a black metal band called Khold though haha.

If you're into jazzy hp hop stuff, there's a Melbourne band called the Cat Empire. I got over them very quickly, but you might like it, with the Australian novelty and all.

Natalia, I actually agree with you on this. I am possibly the only person in the world that hates the Let it Be album. Fiona Apple's cover is good though. The Beatles still own though.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger da buttah said...

let it be was okay. the white album always kind of irked me, personally.

cold is an alternative band..broke up..but they're good, i think. good song by them is "She", "anti love song", "end of the world"..blah blah blah

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Everybody has things they love and hate about the White Album, but nobody agrees on what they are. Best Beatles is Sgt Pepper, Revolver and Abbey Road.

All that comes up when I type Cold is Coldplay haha.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger da buttah said...

me no like coldplay. wannabe radiohead, and radiohead is awesome.

magical mystery tour! that one rocked! c'mon!!

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Yes, you're right, Magical Mystery Tour owns too. How could I forget that?

And, Elle (you know I'm serious now), that is exactly what I've said about Coldplay for a long time. Exactly. This town ain't big enough for the both of them haha.

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger da buttah said...

"fool on the hill" is just the shit!

wow! someone agrees with my hate of coldplay? nu-uh! i've always thought they were trying to be a milder, more pop friendly version of radiohead....and radiohead should kick their asses out of town!

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Indeed. Though I don't hate them as much as I used to. I still don't listen to their music, I'm just aware that it could definitely be worse.

I'm stoked you liked Opeth by the way. Their last album was completely acoustic, so if you like that side of it, there's that. But metal rules. Once you accept that they just don't write short songs, it's all good.

By the way, do you know the Thrills? Irish pop rock?
And speaking of Pop rock...dude, the Smiths. And Morrissey. Oh yeah.

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger da buttah said...

still on the fence about pop rock...but i'll check it out.

i'm a metal fan. long songs or not

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Excellent, because I have much metal for you if that's the case. In many different subgenres.

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger da buttah said...

i have more punk/ska than you shake a stick at..if that is your bag

OH! how is limewire working out for you?

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger Steppin' On Toes said...

You have to be a bastard for Fiona to write a song about you. Is that gonna be too hard to do or did u switch from nice boy to bastard real easily? Hmm.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger sassinak said...

The Paperboys did a great celtic version of 'i've just seen a face' that i liked a ton...

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Hmm Maggotface. I like it. How long before the deed poll place closes?

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home