Friday, November 18, 2005

"Dude, you should so read A Tale of Two Cities"

"

Dude, did you just tell me that you, convicted drug-trafficker Tuong Van Nguyen, currently on death row in Singapore, have a twin brother? A twin brother that was in debt and is, in fact, the reason you, Van Nguyen, took the drug-mule job? Dude! That is the shit! I hope you're a fan of Dickens, because I think A Tale of Two Cities would so be up your alley.

Dig: A Tale of Two Cities is about these two dudes who look alike and are in love with the same woman. And one of them, right, gets sentenced to be killed by Madame Gulliotine. But - and this is the part that concerns you, my friend - the other dude takes his place so the other can live happily ever after with the woman he loves. Talk about sacrifice! Does this sound pertinent to you, Van Nguyen? I bet you're wishing you'd taken literature when you could have, right?

Anyway, with this is mind I think it's clear what you should do: the ol' switcheroo. Look, I know for a fact that in the last few days before your imminent execution, you'll be allowed more visits than usual. So, how about you get your brother to visit you?

Then, the tricky part: he visits you in your cell and you distract the prison guard with a pithy comment like "Boy, I bet after I've been executed I'll really have learnt my lesson and be able to be reintegrated into society" or "Look at that thing behind you!". Whatever, just make sure that the guard doesn't see you and your brother swap clothes, so that he is now in your prison gear and you're in his, like, Fila jacket or whatever.
Then, you (as your brother) say "OK, bro, I'm off. See you in the next life" and leave quickly, leaving your twin brother - the one that got you into this mess - on death row.

And as he walks those few feet to the gallows for you on December 2, he can utter those immortal words, "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known". After all, I think the dude owes you.

"

1 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quality stuff. I can't decide if this whole Nguyen story is overhyped (it certainly is that) tragedy, or overhyped hilarity. I mean, that's a dumb fucking thing to do, especially with the raised awareness of the (possible) consequences of international drug-schlepping, and it also shits me that the Australian government has attempted to (or has been encouraged to, I forget which) interfere with Singapore's sovereign powers in an attempt to free this guy. Blah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home